Lifting the Barriers on Disability

Find the Right Program!
Get Financial Assistance!
Find the Attendant Support!
Find the Perfect Modified Unit!
Find Equipment Funding!
Find Transportation Services!
Extra, Extra, Read all About It!

St. Lawrence College

Today, after almost 40 years in existence, the college continues to evolve to meet the needs of students seeking the skills that will lead to a better quality of life.  With modern, expansive facilities in three vibrant eastern Ontario cities and a solid track record of excellence, St. Lawrence College still combines all the benefits of a world-class education with the advantages of small-town living and personal attention to detail. (source)


Accessibility Services

St. Lawrence College is committed to providing educational opportunities for students with disabilities, disorders and medical conditions. (source)


Academic Resources

Counsellors/Accessibility Advisors support students with disabilities in a number of ways. They grant accommodations based on documentations and suggestions from outside sources. They also coordinate the referral process for Assistive/Adaptive Technology, Learning Coach and Learning Strategy services and other supports inside and outside of the college.

An accommodation is a change in the typical way a student is expected to learn, complete assignments or take part in class. Accommodations include things like alternative reading formats or physical changes to the classroom.

Accommodations do not lessen the student's responsibilities to meet course/program requirements.

Learning Strategies Services

Learning Strategies (LS) are active plans or approaches that help you to learn more effectively and efficiently.

Our Learning Strategists assist students with the development of skills and motivation necessary for academic success. Learning Strategy appointments use a one-on-one approach with a focus on the individual needs of each student. Learning Strategists and students work collaboratively to create a plan to work on skills such as time management, organization, note-taking strategies, effective textbook-reading methods, study practices, and more.

Adaptive Technology Services

Adaptive or Assistive Technology (AT) is a generic term that includes any piece of equipment or software that is used to increase efficiency, maintain function, or improve the capability of individuals with disabilities. AT is used to achieve greater independence while compensating for any functional deficits.

Listed below are some common examples of AT:

  • Text-to-speech software
    • verbalizes, or "speaks" everything on a computer screen, including alternative format textbooks, website text, etc.
  • Speech-to-text software
    • allows the user to voice computer commands and to enter text using their voice, rather than a mouse or keyboard
  • Recording devices
    • allows the user to capture information presented verbally (lectures, workshops) for review at a later time
  • Wireless Microphones/FM (Frequency Modulated) systems
    • transmits an instructor's voice directly to the student at a constant level, insuring the instructor's voice is heard above the level of background noise
  • Mind mapping software
    • allows the user to organize their ideas through web-diagrams and by creating visual linkages between concepts and information .

College Committee on Disability Issues (CCDI): LD Resource Guide, 2008

The Adaptive Technologists work closely with the Counsellors/Accessibility Advisors in supporting students with disabilities.

After a referral, students may see an Adaptive Technologist for:

  • an AT assessment and/or review of existing AT
  • assistance with the ordering / purchasing process
  • on-going training and troubleshooting needs
  • Click here for links to Adaptive Technology Training videos and modules

Learning Coach Supports

  • Learning Coaches work with students who have various disabilities; they are professional employees hired by our college and are not students
  • Learning Coaches may act as scribes, and note-takers
  • In Study Sessions, Learning Coaches provide assistance in areas such as time management, assignment organization, study skills, and testing strategies
  • - Learning Coaches are not academic/ subject related tutors
  • Learning Coaches proctor tests, following the accommodations granted to the student

What Type of Documentation is Needed/How do I Apply?

Step #1: Gather Relevant Documentation

Documentation Requirements for Post-Secondary Academic Accommodations

If you have a learning disability, you need a current psycho-educational assessment (completed within the last 5 years or as an adult) confirming the diagnosis by a registered psychologist or psychological associate.

If you have one of the following, you require documentation confirming the diagnosis by a qualified regulated health care professional:

  • acquired brain injury
  • hearing impairment (deaf, deafened, or hard of hearing)
  • medical condition
  • mental health diagnosis (e.g. depression, anxiety, ADHD, ASD)
  • physical disability or mobility impairment
  • vision impairment (blind or partially sighted)


  • An IEP provides background information, but does not confirm a diagnosis.
  • A qualified regulated health care professional is someone who is capable of making a diagnosis or conveying a diagnosis made by someone who can (e.g. physician, psychologist, nurse practitioner).
  • Students who are experiencing impairment owing to a disability or illness that is temporary in nature may also be eligible for supports.

Contact your campus Counselling & AccessAbility Services (CAAS) office to explore your options:

Brockville: 613-345-0660 extension 3154
Cornwall: 613-933-6080 extension 2709
Kingston: 613-544-5400 extension 1593

Step #2: Apply to OSAP for Disability-Related Funding

Many students with disabilities face additional costs beyond your typical tuition and textbooks.

Given this, we strongly encourage all students registered for disability-related services to apply for OSAP. Eligible students have access to bursaries and/or grants to assist with the funding of services and equipment that may be required owing to their disability (i.e. psychological assessments or assistive technology).

To apply for Financial Aid through Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), visit the OSAP website.

We suggest that students do not check off 'permanent disability' on the OSAP application. The Counselling & AccessAbility Services office must notify the OSAP office that you meet the criteria for a permanent disability once we receive supporting documentation.

Please contact your campus Financial Aid Office for more information:

Brockville: (613) 345-0660 extension 3230
Cornwall: (613) 933-6080 extension 2722
Kingston: (613) 544-5400 extension 1185, 1507 or 1287

Applying for Disability-Related Funding

Students registered with the Counselling & AccessAbility Services office and who are eligible for OSAP can apply for the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) or Canadian Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE). Your Counsellor or Accessibility Advisor will assist you in this process.

Step # 3: Attend an Intake Appointment

We request that students with disabilities arrange for a confidential intake appointment as soon as possible to discuss academic or personal concerns.

Early disclosure of a disability enhances the student's potential for success.

WHEN can you meet with us?

If you are starting classes in September, you can meet with us beginning in May of this year.

How can you book your appointment?

Call or drop by your campus to book an appointment with us:

Brockville: (613) 345-0660 extension 3154, Rm 100
Cornwall: (613) 933-6080 extension 2227, Rm M 1461
Kingston: (613) 544-5400 extension 1593, Rm 01230

Note: you will be asked to provide disability-related documentation (if available) to our office prior to your intake meeting.

What should you bring to this appointment?

  • Any additional disability or education-related documentation
  • Contact information for any healthcare professional(s) or community supports you are accessing
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) if applying for disability-related funding through OSAP

Additional Information

Summer Transition Programs for New Students with Disabilities

For more information, please contact:

Counselling & AccessAbility Services
Phone: 613 544-5400 x 1593
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.