Loyalist College offers a comprehensive range of career-oriented education and training opportunities to support and enhance the economic and social development of individuals and our communities. Since it was founded in 1967, Loyalist has been an integral part of the communities it serves. A strong partner in the economic growth and vitality of the greater Quinte area, the College today includes more than 590,000 square feet of space at its Belleville and Bancroft campuses, supporting programs and services for close to 3,000 full-time and 12,000 part-time students each year. (source)
The AccessAbility Centre team is committed to providing academic supports to students with documented disabilities. Services are free, voluntary and confidential.
The mission statement of the AccessAbility Centre is to foster a supportive and accessible environment. Loyalist College upholds this principle of service provision to all students with disabilities which may include learning disabilities, ADHD, deaf, hard of hearing, blind, low vision, mobility, medical, brain injury, ASD/Asperger's, and mental health. (source)
The staff in the AccessAbility Centre assist students with disabilities to adjust to the College environment in a variety of ways. Given that each student's needs are unique, services and accommodations in the academic setting are arranged on an individual basis, and based on the documentation of the student's disability. Some of the services provided by the AccessAbility Centre may include:
- assistance with registration
- advocacy and counselling regarding disability issues
- peer-assisted note-takers
- learning strategies
- psycho-educational screening and assessments
- text and journal articles on alternative text format
- campus guides for the blind/low vision, can be arranged until class routes become familiar
- maps which indicate accessible routes, entrances and parking
- personal FM systems are available to amplify hearing in lectures and tutorials
- bursary funds for purchase of disability related services and equipment for eligible students
- training and lending of assistive technology
- special arrangements for exams which include: extended test time, use of a computer with a spell check, use of assistive technology, distraction-reduced exam environment etc.
- referrals to other student success services
Students who are eligible for accommodations will be provided with an Individualized Service Plan form (ISP) to take to their course instructors for signature. This ISP form will notify the instructors that the student is working with the AccessAbility Centre and eligible for the accommodations indicated. A copy of this form will also be sent to the student's school Dean.
What Type of Documentation is Needed?
The AccessAbility Centre provides accommodations for students with documented disabilities from an allied health professional. The documentation required is dependent on the student's disability. Students should contact the AccessAbility Centre regarding the type of documentation required for their specific disability.
Some of the documents you may be asked for include:
- Medical documentation from a physician confirming your disability
- An audiology report from a qualified practitioner
- A psycho-educational assessment from a qualified practitioner diagnosing a learning disability (assessments must be within five years to qualify for the BSWD and reduced course load)
- Medical documentation from a qualified practitioner diagnosing a mental health illness or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Transition Plans
- Identification, Placement and Review Committee (IPRC) forms
If you do not have the required documentation, or it is out of date, please contact the AccessAbility Centre to discuss.
Download: Disability Verification Form (PDF 54 KB)
Student For A Day
Student for a Day runs from mid-September to the end of November and from mid-January until the end of March. There may also be the opportunity to be a Student for a Day in programs that have a summer semester – please contact us for availability.
To learn more about this program and fill out the application, please visit this page.