Lifting the Barriers on Disability

Find the Right Program!
Get Financial Assistance!
Find the Attendant Support!
Find the Perfect Modified Unit!
Find Equipment Funding!
Find Transportation Services!
Extra, Extra, Read all About It!

George Brown College

Balancing work, home and education is easy at George Brown with full-time, part-time and continuing education programs to suit your availability and allowing you to work towards a diploma, degree or certificate. (source)


Disability Services

We are committed to ensuring that students with disabilities receive reasonable and effective academic accommodations and support services to participate fully in the academic environment.

Disability Services provides leadership, guidance and support across the college to help students, faculty and staff understand and embrace a fully accessible and inclusive campus environment. We believe that access to education for all students requires a collaborative relationship among all members of the college community. (source)


Academic Resources

You and your consultant will discuss your learning needs and determine your accommodations, based on your specific disability.

General accommodations

All George Brown students with disabilities can access the following accommodations:

  • reduced course loads
    • Students with a disability can take 40% of a full course load and still be considered a full-time student with all the rights and privileges that accompany that designation—including eligibility for OSAP.
    • You may find your learning needs are best met if you reduce your number of courses during a semester.
  • additional time for tests and exams—usually time and a half
    • You can request accommodations to take quizzes, tests, mid-terms and exams. Accommodations include extra time (time and a half) and a quieter space to write the test in one of our Assessment Centres — usually at the same time as the rest of your class.

Course content accommodations

Depending on your disability and learning needs, you may be eligible for other accommodations:

  • class note-taking
    • Your consultant will help you decide whether some of your courses may require a notetaker. Notetakers are particularly helpful in classes where there are a lot of lectures. You may not need a notetaker in labs or classes where the focus is on discussion or group work.
  • recording lectures
    • It may be helpful for you to record some of your class lectures so that you can listen to them again after class.
    • Remind your professors that you will be recording the lecture (as stated on your Student Accommodation Form). You may be asked to turn off the recorder during class discussion time.
  • loan of recording devices and Livescribe Pens
    • If you don't have your own recording device, you can borrow one from Disability Services. Digital or smartpens are also available to help you transcribe your notes to a tablet or smartphone.
  • textbooks in alternative format (large-print, audio, PDF or Braille materials)
    • You may require your study materials to be in an alternative, accessible format. Your consultant can advise you about the best way to obtain accessible materials for your courses.

Specialist service accommodations

  • Learning Strategists
    • A Learning Strategist can give you one-to-one support to understand your psychological report, and improve your time management, writing, reading comprehension and study and test-writing skills.
  • Adaptive Technology
    • Our Adaptive Technologists will match you to the technology that works best for you. Working in our Adaptive Technology Labs (ATLs), they give you hands-on training to show you how these devices can help you to read, spell, write, take notes, and stay organized.
    • Adaptive technologies are hardware and software devices which help you to learn more effectively.
  • Deaf/hard of hearing/deaf-blind specialists
    • Computerized Notetaker
      • Specially-trained notetakers transcribe what's going on in the classroom to a computer monitor so you can see it in real-time. They will also provide you with an edited copy of the notes within 24 hours.
    • Interpreter
      • The Interpreter's role is to interpret between American Sign Language (ASL) and English so that you can interact fully with your hearing classmates and professors, and they with you.
    • Intervenor
      • Intervenors act as your 'eyes and ears' if you are deafblind, using modified sign language techniques:
      • Close-contact—a technique that allows for restricted visual fields and proximity requirements.
      • Tactile—a communication method in which the receiver's hands are placed lightly upon the hands of the signer to perceive the signs.

What Type of Documentation is Needed?

Having the right documents helps us to understand your needs and plan for appropriate academic accommodations:


letter from a psychiatrist or psychologist.

Deaf, Deafened, or Hard of Hearing

audiogram, audiologist report or letter from a regulated healthcare professional.

Learning Disabilities

submit any documentation you have (IEP, IPRC, psychoeducational assessment, etc.) with the Intake Form. All documentation will be reviewed by a disability consultant to determine whether or not additional or updated documentation is needed.

Mental health, mobility, acquired brain injury or medical disabilities

letter from a regulated healthcare professional.


photocopy of your CNIB card or a letter from a regulated healthcare professional.

Your healthcare professional may choose to use a disability verification form. PDF icon (accessible version of this document is available upon request)

For a complete list of regulated health professionals, including physicians and nurses, visit HealthForce Ontario.

We keep all of your information in strictest confidence subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

How do I Apply?

To register

Step 1

Print, fill out and sign the confidential intake form PDF icon (accessible version of this document is available upon request)

  • Print the form and complete all sections.
  • Put N/A for anything that doesn't apply to you.
  • Sign the Statement of Confidentiality.

Step 2

Collect your supporting documents
Having the right documents helps us to understand your needs and plan for appropriate academic accommodation.

Step 3

Submit your intake form and documents - email, fax, or in person
Remember to keep an extra copy of everything for your own records.

What happens next?

The Intake Coordinator will email you to confirm your registration with Disability Services and send you the contact information for your campus.
You will contact your campus office directly to book your first appointment with your consultant or to arrange test accommodations if you need them.

You may need test accommodations to take the one of the following:

These tests are part of starting a George Brown College program.

If you are taking a test

Additional Information

Learning supports

Our Library Learning Commons (LLC) offers customized accessible library services for students with disabilities, including students who are Deaf, deafened or hard of hearing.

  • Retrieval of books and materials from the shelves
  • Extended loan policy
  • Assistance with photocopying
  • Library tours
  • Research assistance
  • Library instruction workshops
  • Assistive devices, computers and adaptive technology
  • Print and other media in alternative formats

Our Tutoring and Learning Centres (TLCs) offers peer-tutors to help you learn how to study, write papers and edit and proofread your work.

Our PeerConnect are friendly, drop-in places to meet with other students and share what works. They offer regular workshops and study groups.

For information about these programs and others, please visit this page.