We know you're more than a student. That's why Fanshawe is more than a college. Just look at Fanshawe's incredible campus - or ask someone who knows. It's a place where people meet and futures are made. In addition to state-of-the-art tools for mastering your craft, we've got restaurants, residences and everything you need to have the best time with some of the best friends - people who share your passions and dreams. Fanshawe is a place to engage and be hands-on with what you love - creating something, solving problems, helping others - and building a foundation for a lifetime of happiness and success. (source)
Fanshawe College and Accessibility Services are committed to providing equal educational access to students with disabilities. (source)
- Counselling (academic, disability, personal and career); (source)
- A test writing centre offering extended time, quiet space, scribes, readers, use of adaptive technology, and other accommodations or supports as recommended by your counsellor;
- Online Accommodated Test/Exam Booking is available at the London campus of Fanshawe College for students with disabilities, registered with Accessibility Services. (source)
- The benefits of Online Test/Exam Booking include:
- Quick and easy to complete
- Accessible from any computer
- Available 24/7
- Professors can securely upload tests and exams
- Compatible with adaptive technology
- Learning strategists and tutors;
- Accessibility Services Computer Lab. Available software includes Read & Write Gold, Kurzweil, Dragon, JAWS, WordQ and Inspiration.
What Type of Documentation Is Needed/How do I Apply
How do I identify myself as a student with a disability?
- Use our Early I.D. form or phone 519-452-4282 to speak with our Intake Advisor.
- Do this well before school starts - the earlier the better (April, May, June, July is best if you are starting a program in September). Keep in mind that technology training dates may be scheduled for you during the months of July/August; this way you can learn the technology before school starts.
What documentation do I need to provide?
- Bring written documentation of your disability such as: psychological and educational assessment reports, or notes from a medical practitioner. Click here to use our Medical Form (PDF).
- If you have a learning disability, please visit the "Learning Disabilities, Assessment and Documentation" page.
The Counselling and Accessibility Services team at Fanshawe College host secondary school students and resource teachers each spring for Phase I of our transition activities known as 'Discovery Days'. The purpose of the event is to introduce students with disabilities to Fanshawe College and the services available. The topics explored include:
- Transition from high school to college;
- Career and program selection;
- Adaptive technology that can help;
- Study skills/specialized learning strategies;
- Financial aid available for disability-related educational expenses;
- First-hand experiences and advice shared by a panel of current Fanshawe students who have used Accessibility Services.
Discovery Days are offered in early May each year and about 100 participants have joined us in recent years from a growing number of secondary schools. An annual invitation is mailed in advance to area schools, but transition information packages can be provided to any interested student, parent or secondary school department upon request. We hope to hear from you.
Fast Forward to Fanshawe
The second phase of our transition activities (Fast Forward to Fanshawe ) takes place in late August and is provided to students who have accepted an offer of admission to Fanshawe College. Participants receive individualized help in learning to use specialized software, create personalized accommodation plans and develop learning strategies that are related to their specific program requirements.
For more information, please contact Counselling and Accessibility Services at Fanshawe College at:
Counselling and Accessibility Services
Fanshawe College, Room F2010
1001 Fanshawe College Blvd, P.O. Box 7005
London, Ontario N5Y 5R6