Lifting the Barriers on Disability

Find the Right Program!
Get Financial Assistance!
Find the Attendant Support!
Find the Perfect Modified Unit!
Find Equipment Funding!
Find Transportation Services!
Extra, Extra, Read all About It!

Confederation College

Confederation College has been serving the citizens of Northwestern Ontario since 1967 by meeting the educational needs of students in a catchment area of 550,000 square kilometers. Along with its main campus in Thunder Bay, Confederation College has eight regional campuses located in the communities of Dryden, Fort Frances, Kenora, Geraldton, Marathon, Red Lake, Sioux Lookout and Wawa. (source)


Disability Services

At the Academic Support Centre, we provide individual assistance and support for students who have disabilities that could affect their academic performance. Services and accommodations emphasize personal independence and responsibility and provide a fair and equal opportunity for success without compromising the academic integrity of the course or program. (source)


Academic Resources

Our qualified staff can:

  • provide information about the identification process if you suspect you have a disability
  • work with you to develop an Accommodation Plan (AP) listing the accommodations for which you are eligible
  • help you develop strategies for success
  • provide ongoing monitoring and support
  • help you access alternate format texts and resources
  • teach you how to use the latest assistive technology
    • Assistive Technology (AT) is any adaptive or assistive device used to increase independence in individuals with disabilities. AT enhances the method of approaching a task, allowing the individual to accomplish what may have been previously difficult or impossible.
    • In the Academic Support Centre, students with documented disabilities have access to AT at our computer workstations. In addition, students may access our lending library of portable devices
  • help you access the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) to assist with disability related purchases
  • set up test accommodations and note takers
    • Note taking is the act of recording spoken and written information from lectures in an organized and legible fashion. The Academic Support Centre provides a note taking service to students who have documented disabilities that interfere with their ability to take comprehensive class notes.
    • Test accommodations allow students with documented disabilities to demonstrate what they know without the interference of their disability. It is important to note that accommodations do not modify or change the content of the test. Rather, they change the way in which the test is administered to or responded to by the student.

What Type of Documentation is Needed?/How Do I Apply?

Step One: Complete the Contact Form

As soon as you have accepted an offer of admission to Confederation College, or registered for a part-time course, please complete and submit the Academic Support Centre Contact Form. You can pick up the form at the Academic Support Centre or print it now.

Step Two: Submit Your Documentation

Documentation is confirmation of a disability from a recognized professional and is required to access disability services. It guides the Academic Support Centre staff in the selection of accommodations to meet your specific needs.

To find out what type of documentation to submit, select a link below.

  • I have a Learning Disability
    • You will need your Identification, Placement, and Review Committee (IPRC) Summary, Individual Education Plan (IEP), and/or Psycho-educational Assessment, signed by a licensed, registered psychologist. A recent assessment is preferred but not essential. However, we may ask you to update your assessment in order to understand your specific learning needs
  • I have a disability other than a Learning Disability
    • You will need medical or psychiatric confirmation of your disability from a recognized medical professional (i.e. physician, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, neurologist, or audiologist). If you don not have documentation, you can print the Disability Documentation Form below and have it completed.
    • Disability Documentation Form
  • I think I have a disability but do not have documentation
    • Make an appointment at the Academic Support Centre. Our staff will guide you through the process for determining if there is a disability.

Drop off, mail or fax your Contact form and documentation to:

Disability Services Counsellor
Academic Support Centre
Confederation College
P.O. Box 398
1450 Nakina Drive
Thunder Bay, ON P7C 4W1
Fax: (807) 473-3744

Step Three: Make an appointment at the Academic Support Centre

Meet with the Disability Services Counsellor well in advance of the school year. This is your opportunity to ask questions and get further clarification on accommodations and the transition process. Remember: You should have forwarded your documentation to the Academic Support Centre so you can discuss it during the meeting. If you have not, bring it with you.

Call (807) 475-6618 and make an appointment.

Step Four: Develop your Accommodation Plan (AP)

Meet with the Disability Services Counsellor again to develop your AP. Bring your timetable, complete with faculty names, to this appointment. This formal document outlines the accommodations you are entitled to access. Once you sign the AP, a copy is distributed to each faculty member listed on your timetable. During this appointment, you may be referred to other members of our team such as a Learning Strategist/Assistive Technologist or the Testing Facilitator. When you have your timetable, call (807) 475-6618 and make an appointment.

Click this link to view and print these guidelines.

Additional Information

Whether you are entering college directly from high school or returning to school after a break, the process of moving from one set of circumstances to another can be stressful as well as exciting. We recognize that all students will have to make some form of adjustment during this time of transition and we offer a number of resources to help you deal with the challenges.

To find out what is available for you, enter the Transition Tutorial.