Lifting the Barriers on Disability

Find the Right Program!
Get Financial Assistance!
Find the Attendant Support!
Find the Perfect Modified Unit!
Find Equipment Funding!
Find Transportation Services!
Extra, Extra, Read all About It!


Rent geared to income subsidized housing is available in over 1,000 individual and family units located in Atwood, Listowel, Milverton, Mitchell, St. Marys and Stratford.

Rent Supplement and Housing Assistance programs may be available to eligible tenants renting from private landlords or social housing providers, are also provided.

There is a waiting list for most rent- geared- to income or rent subsidized units. (source)



Eligibility Requirements

Basic Rent Geared-to-Income Eligibility Rules:

At least one member of your household is 16 years old or older.

Each member of your household is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or a refugee claimant.

No deportation order has been made or has become effective for any members of your household.

No member of your household owes arrears of rent or owes money for damages to social housing.

No member of your household has had a conviction for misrepresentation of income related to social housing within the past two years.

You must be able to live independently; or independently with support services.

You must have a positive reference from a previous landlord.

How do I apply?

There are 3 ways to start the Housing Application process:

By Phone: Call 519-271-3773 x 245 or 1-800-669-2948 to speak to a Housing Clerk, who will talk with you about various options, waiting lists, and application procedures.

In Person: Pick up an application form at: 2nd Floor, City Hall Annex, 82 Erie St., Stratford

Online: Our Housing Application Part A and Part B can be found on the links previous.

Your completed application or form, along with all required documents listed must be delivered in person or by mail to the above address.

You can also send by fax to the Housing Division at 519-273-7191.

Is there Special Needs housing?

When applying for accessible housing, you must indicate your/your loved one's disability on the original application as well as complete the medical verification form. If you wish to transfer units into a modified unit, then fill out the accessible accomodations transfer form.

Additonal Information

for Additional information and contact numbers, please visit this website.