Lifting the Barriers on Disability

Find the Right Program!
Get Financial Assistance!
Find the Attendant Support!
Find the Perfect Modified Unit!
Find Equipment Funding!
Find Transportation Services!
Extra, Extra, Read all About It!

Haldimand & Norfolk

Rent geared to income (RGI) assistance is financial assistance provided to eligible households under legislated eligibility requirements to reduce the amount the household must otherwise pay to occupy a unit in a housing project [subsidized housing].

Norfolk County as the Service Manager for Haldimand and Norfolk Counties, is responsible for the administration and funding of 11 Social Housing Providers, and manages the Centralized Waiting List for all applicants for RGI assistance within Haldimand and Norfolk Counties. (source)


Eligibility Requirements

The criteria is as follows:

At least one member of the household must be 16 years of age or older and able to live independently (Proof of Age must accompany the application)

All household members must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant, or Refugee Claimant or have been granted Refugee status, with no outstanding removal, deportation or departure order enforceable under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Canada or have completed an application for permanent residency (Proof of Residency Status must accompany the application)

No member has been convicted of misrepresentation of income in relation to RGI assistance under the Criminal Code, by a Court of Law or Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal, within the past two years

Any member of the household named in this application that owns residential property suitable for year-round occupancy must agree to sell it within 6 months of being housed.

No current member of the household has outstanding Social Housing rental arrears in the Province of Ontario, or must be actively adhering to an approved repayment plan

Depending on family composition, a household must occupy a unit, which they are eligible for under local occupancy standards

Household members have pursued required sources of income

Changes in household income or composition must be reported within the required time of 30 business days.

How do I apply?

Fill out this form, and then submit your application form and all appropriate supporting documents to the Social Housing Division of Health and Social Services where your eligibility for RGI assistance will be assessed.

Is there Special Needs housing?

Yes, if you are looking for a modified unit or wheelchair accessible residential accommodation, you can apply directly to the Social Housing Division by indicating on the application that a modified unit is required. Modification details for the household member who requires the modified unit must be included in the application; supporting documentation from a healthcare professional may be required. The Social Housing Division may assist with information on the availability of modified unit in the service area. Consent to the disclosure of information and documents to the special needs Housing Provider is required for the purpose of processing the application, determining eligibility for special needs and defining the size and type of unit for which the household is eligible.

Additional Information

For additonal information and contact numbers, please visit this website.